Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • World
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (Zephyr)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Peptide Critic Community Peptide Critic Community
  1. Peptide Forum
  2. Community Meta & Off-Topic
  3. Off-Topic Lounge
  4. History of sugar
Prize
Three Pens + Filters & Cartridges
Ends in
2215 entries · 837 participants
Enter →

History of sugar

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Off-Topic Lounge
5 Posts 4 Posters 296 Views 1 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • pep_researcherP Online
    pep_researcherP Online
    pep_researcher
    wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Sugar at one time costed as much as gold. Made me chuckle, if it had stayed that way, maybe a lot of 21st century health issues would have disappeared? πŸ€”πŸ˜‚

    https://youtu.be/1-UDlJno0DA?is=WUg0EEdCMsWYrvP8

    1 Reply Last reply
    1
    • quicksilver80Q Offline
      quicksilver80Q Offline
      quicksilver80
      wrote on last edited by quicksilver80
      #2

      Sugar spice and salt. Whole nations were raised and destroyed in their acquisition. Ironic some did all that just to never use any of them in their modernday cooking πŸ‘€

      1 Reply Last reply
      1
      • E Offline
        E Offline
        Eleanor
        wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I have an entire metal cabinet of spices I've collected from around the globe, I do use salt and occasional sugar (brown) but less than recipes call for, in sauce for ribs. I'll be doing that on July 4th most of the day; no, I will not be standing in the sun.

        Proud to be on a gubmint watch list

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • ResearchCatR Offline
          ResearchCatR Offline
          ResearchCat
          wrote on last edited by
          #4

          There was a book that came out in the early 90’s, I think, called Food of the Gods. One of the things they talked about was how sugar was unknown until Europeans bought cane back from the Americas. And yes, that was the beginning of the end.

          Yeah, well, I’m just here for the research, man. - The Dude

          If I haven’t liked your post, no offense. I have exceeded my daily allowance.

          1 Reply Last reply
          1
          • E Offline
            E Offline
            Eleanor
            wrote on last edited by Eleanor
            #5

            Sugar can be traced back a couple thousand years to Chinese; a rudimentary form of sugar cane, which is wholly different from white sugar. It was very sparingly used and now we know why. Pacific Islanders, Hawaiians eat so much sugar and fat it's ridiculous; at least they did when I lived on Kauai. The ones of more Japanese and some Puerto Rican descent had a better diet.

            Proud to be on a gubmint watch list

            1 Reply Last reply
            2

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

            Register Login
            Reply
            • Reply as topic
            Log in to reply
            • Oldest to Newest
            • Newest to Oldest
            • Most Votes


            • Login

            • Login or register to search.
            • First post
              Last post
            0
            • Categories
            • Recent
            • Tags
            • Popular
            • World
            • Users
            • Groups