Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • World
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (Zephyr)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Peptide Critic Community Peptide Critic Community
  1. Peptide Forum
  2. Welcome & News
  3. Introductions
  4. Hello from Minnesota
Prize
Three Pens + Filters & Cartridges
Ends in
2215 entries · 837 participants
Enter →

Hello from Minnesota

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Introductions
13 Posts 9 Posters 699 Views 1 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • J Offline
    J Offline
    jennn
    wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I just started down this rabbit hole a few weeks ago. It started because my insurance would not approve my Zepbound. I tried thru Lilly direct and it was still too expensive. (I don’t qualify from a weight perspective, but I have a lot of autoimmune issues.) I’m so glad I found this group. There seem to be very level headed people here.
    A bit about me… I’m an MD, and I never thought I’d go for the peptide market. I drank the ‘straight and narrow Western medicine’ kool-aid pretty hard my whole life. But learning what I have learned these past few weeks has been quite enlightening. Before med school, I have a background in bench science (biochemistry and genetics), so it helps that I have done research on rats in that past life. My new rat I’m researching on currently is named Maynard.
    I ordered tirz and Reta through vendors from this site and message board. Now I’m interested in taking it a step further for Maynard’s longevity and quality of life. This will be interesting. 🙂

    1 Reply Last reply
    8
    • RandyR Offline
      RandyR Offline
      Randy
      wrote on last edited by Randy
      #2

      Welcome! So happy you are here!

      What's first on the research bench?

      "If it doesnt come in a needle. It doesn't work"

      J 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • Mydogdaryl423M Offline
        Mydogdaryl423M Offline
        Mydogdaryl423
        wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Welcome. This is a great community. It has helped me so much on my journey.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • RandyR Randy

          Welcome! So happy you are here!

          What's first on the research bench?

          J Offline
          J Offline
          jennn
          wrote on last edited by jennn
          #4

          @Randy I am super interested in the possible autoimmune benefits of the new GLP1 classes. We already know they have literature proven benefits in the heart and kidney literature. There is promising literature in the cancer prevention field as well. My friend who runs the medical weight loss clinic for our large healthcare organization has personally told me that she has seen a lot of benefit in the autoimmune community. Her patients have been able to come down on steroid doses and even come down on DMARDs, which blew my mind. And she is very much the ‘inside the box’ type.
          After Maynard is stable on reta, I think he’s interested in the mitochondria stack. From the antidotes I have read, that seems to have some impressive quality of life results.
          But I don’t know. I am still reading a lot on which may have the most auto immune benefits.

          1 Reply Last reply
          2
          • S Offline
            S Offline
            STATIEEIGHT
            wrote on last edited by STATIEEIGHT
            #5

            Awesome to see people with your sort of background on here - you’re not the only one from what I’ve “deduced” (not me - I’m just a bum tradie).

            Re the GLP1’s - I know more people using them now especially Reta for the “off label/side effects” of them than the weight loss side of it now.
            I mean technically even weight loss was originally off label a few years back.

            Good luck with it. 👍

            1 Reply Last reply
            1
            • S Offline
              S Offline
              Stones67
              wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Welcome. Same pedigree. Eye opening huh? Started with Reta and things escalated from there. Take your time. You're part of a great and growing community!

              J 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • D Offline
                D Offline
                darlenewestby
                wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Hello Jennn I just came into this community today! What type of autoimmune does Maynard have? My rat Peanut had thyroid removed but was found to have Hashimoto's prior to that. Interested if it will be possible to improve that and/or get Peanut off Levo?

                J 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • D darlenewestby

                  Hello Jennn I just came into this community today! What type of autoimmune does Maynard have? My rat Peanut had thyroid removed but was found to have Hashimoto's prior to that. Interested if it will be possible to improve that and/or get Peanut off Levo?

                  J Offline
                  J Offline
                  jennn
                  wrote on last edited by jennn
                  #8

                  @darlenewestby my RS has limited scleroderma but ended up with pulmonary arterial hypertension and interstitial lung disease. I am hoping to minimize the use of steroids (very bad in scleroderma but I had no choice) and cellcept. I doubt I’ll ever come off rituxan, but I can live with that one. The steroids really helped my PAH and ILD, but I am playing Russian roulette with steroids having scleroderma. They can precipitate something called scleroderma renal crisis. I have already titrated myself off pred after a month of tirz and reta. I am either going to flare or not flare. It’s a gamble. But between the risk of prednisone and the prednisone side effects (most notably food noise, and weight gain), I was just feeling like the disease would kill me or the treatment would kill me. I needed another option. So I went and found one. I am hoping the anti-inflammatory effects of these GLP1 medicines are real. I have plenty of anecdotes from traditional western medicine that says they are. And I have read plenty of anecdotes online. Maybe I found my lifeline.
                  I couldn’t get the GLP one prescribed through traditional channels since even with my steroid weight gain, I didn’t meet the criteria. But now I’m kind of glad, because I’ve discovered other possible options now in these communities that could help me with other aspects of my health.

                  Sorry for the long rant, when I got going, I just couldn’t stop. You had mentioned thyroid and Hashimoto’s. While I am thinking that the GLP’s can help reduce inflammation and the need for certain disease modifying antirheumatic drugs, I am pretty sure darn they are not going to replace a thyroid. If you lack a thyroid, that is not a matter of inflammation reduction. That is a matter of thyroid replacement, ie your levothyroxine. But they may help other aspects of the autoimmune disease, if there are other manifestations
                  .

                  S 1 Reply Last reply
                  1
                  • S Stones67

                    Welcome. Same pedigree. Eye opening huh? Started with Reta and things escalated from there. Take your time. You're part of a great and growing community!

                    J Offline
                    J Offline
                    jennn
                    wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @Stones67 very eye-opening! Oh, I used to roll my eyes pretty hard at this stuff. But that’s the way we were trained, and I had the privilege of sitting in my ivory tower quoting The Science. All that changed for me over Covid. And I knew about peptides somewhat before, but I never had the opportunity to look into the field with an open mind until insurance declined zepbound. And in looking how to get it from a compounding pharmacy with my prescription, I stumbled into this whole new field! I’m plenty skeptical, don’t get me wrong. But I’m just so very intrigued! And there is plenty of actual science here. I’m loving the journey.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    1
                    • J jennn

                      @darlenewestby my RS has limited scleroderma but ended up with pulmonary arterial hypertension and interstitial lung disease. I am hoping to minimize the use of steroids (very bad in scleroderma but I had no choice) and cellcept. I doubt I’ll ever come off rituxan, but I can live with that one. The steroids really helped my PAH and ILD, but I am playing Russian roulette with steroids having scleroderma. They can precipitate something called scleroderma renal crisis. I have already titrated myself off pred after a month of tirz and reta. I am either going to flare or not flare. It’s a gamble. But between the risk of prednisone and the prednisone side effects (most notably food noise, and weight gain), I was just feeling like the disease would kill me or the treatment would kill me. I needed another option. So I went and found one. I am hoping the anti-inflammatory effects of these GLP1 medicines are real. I have plenty of anecdotes from traditional western medicine that says they are. And I have read plenty of anecdotes online. Maybe I found my lifeline.
                      I couldn’t get the GLP one prescribed through traditional channels since even with my steroid weight gain, I didn’t meet the criteria. But now I’m kind of glad, because I’ve discovered other possible options now in these communities that could help me with other aspects of my health.

                      Sorry for the long rant, when I got going, I just couldn’t stop. You had mentioned thyroid and Hashimoto’s. While I am thinking that the GLP’s can help reduce inflammation and the need for certain disease modifying antirheumatic drugs, I am pretty sure darn they are not going to replace a thyroid. If you lack a thyroid, that is not a matter of inflammation reduction. That is a matter of thyroid replacement, ie your levothyroxine. But they may help other aspects of the autoimmune disease, if there are other manifestations
                      .

                      S Online
                      S Online
                      Shaqdiesel
                      wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @jennn Welcome! Have you researched KPV? That might be a good one for you.

                      J 1 Reply Last reply
                      1
                      • quicksilver80Q Offline
                        quicksilver80Q Offline
                        quicksilver80
                        wrote on last edited by quicksilver80
                        #11

                        So you took off the rose colored shades. Good! People like you are great in the community for your real world expertise . I cant tell you how many ive seen just like you in the forums though. This scene really brings together all walks of life. You will find some stuff thats just balogna, but you gotta take a little snake oil with all the good that comes from this weird niche. Just wait until you get a load of the price drops when you go grey.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        1
                        • S Shaqdiesel

                          @jennn Welcome! Have you researched KPV? That might be a good one for you.

                          J Offline
                          J Offline
                          jennn
                          wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @Shaqdiesel yes that’s one I’m definitely looking into!!

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          2
                          • kenhnsyK Offline
                            kenhnsyK Offline
                            kenhnsy
                            wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            Is Maynard a pretty rat?

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            1

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            Reply
                            • Reply as topic
                            Log in to reply
                            • Oldest to Newest
                            • Newest to Oldest
                            • Most Votes


                            • Login

                            • Login or register to search.
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            0
                            • Categories
                            • Recent
                            • Tags
                            • Popular
                            • World
                            • Users
                            • Groups