Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • World
  • Users
  • Groups
Skins
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (Zephyr)
  • No Skin
Collapse
Peptide Critic Community Peptide Critic Community
  1. Peptide Forum
  2. Supplies, Mixing & Storage
  3. Hospira 0.9% Bacteriostatic Sodium Chloride (30 mL)
Prize
Three Pens + Filters & Cartridges
Ends in
2215 entries · 837 participants
Enter →

Hospira 0.9% Bacteriostatic Sodium Chloride (30 mL)

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Supplies, Mixing & Storage
135 Posts 21 Posters 4.0k Views 3 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • J jennn

    I am very curious about this saline debate. So I asked AI about insulin. Insulin is the most common peptide known to man, so assuming the handling of lyophilized insulin can be generalized to other (non copper containing peptides), here’s what I learned.

    Lyophilized (freeze-dried) insulin powder is typically dissolved using sterile or bacteriostatic water (often with a very slight acidic adjustment like dilute hydrochloric acid to help it go into solution), and then further diluted or adjusted with saline or a buffer like PBS to reach a neutral, physiological pH before use.
    Insulin has very low solubility at a neutral pH, so protocols for dissolving dry insulin powder generally start with purified or sterile water adjusted to an acidic pH (around pH 2–3) to get the powder to fully dissolve.
    Once the insulin is fully dissolved in the acidic liquid, it is usually diluted and neutralized using normal saline (0.9% NaCl) or phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) to reach a physiological pH (~7.2–7.4) so it does not cause tissue irritation or pain upon injection.

    So I think it is safe to assume we still should be dissolving peptides in sterile water (maybe some in acetic acid with sterile water) and then diluting up with saline for comfort when injecting. This will make reconstitution a two step process and may not be feasible if your dilution volume is very small (ie low mg vial content).
    I think I will order some bac saline right now.

    J Offline
    J Offline
    jennn
    wrote last edited by
    #61

    Take away points:

    1. Dissolving a peptide in saline may result in incomplete reconstitution even if the vial looks clear. This is due to the ph at which lyophilized peptides dissolve.
    2. Direct administration of a purely hypotonic solution like sterile water can cause cellular hemolysis (bursting of cells) and significant localized pain.
    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • C Offline
      C Offline
      Commander
      wrote last edited by
      #62

      This all sounds greek to me….
      So does that mean we can or can’t do it?

      Please excuse my typos. Small Phone & Bad Eyes

      E J 2 Replies Last reply
      1
      • C Commander

        This all sounds greek to me….
        So does that mean we can or can’t do it?

        E Offline
        E Offline
        Eleanor
        wrote last edited by
        #63

        @Commander said:

        This all sounds greek to me….
        So does that mean we can or can’t do it?

        Depends upon the compound. I still find peptideprotocols.com very helpful. I use it with SS31 and it also runs very well w/MOTS-C. If you look up the pep in the contents tab, you should find some reference to it.

        Proud to be on a gubmint watch list

        S A 2 Replies Last reply
        0
        • E Eleanor

          @Commander said:

          This all sounds greek to me….
          So does that mean we can or can’t do it?

          Depends upon the compound. I still find peptideprotocols.com very helpful. I use it with SS31 and it also runs very well w/MOTS-C. If you look up the pep in the contents tab, you should find some reference to it.

          S Offline
          S Offline
          Stevepep
          wrote last edited by Stevepep
          #64

          @Eleanor I like it too. I posted what my doc said and it’s fine with ss31, motsc and nad. His internal compound pharmacy uses it and he gave me the note from the pharmacy I don’t remember exactly what it said but it will not interfere with the structure of the peptide. They us it for semiglutude and have formulations for the others that the fda board just voted on but have not yet fully approved. AI just searches the internet and all that bad information influences the result. It’s not reliable when it comes to peptides. People continue to post it as a reliable source but it is often very wrong and never says it doesn’t know

          1 Reply Last reply
          1
          • C Commander

            This all sounds greek to me….
            So does that mean we can or can’t do it?

            J Offline
            J Offline
            jennn
            wrote last edited by
            #65

            @Commander Dissolve in a small amount of sterile water first. Maybe use a little acetic acid for the ones that are notoriously difficult to recon like AOD. (I don’t know how much aa to use unless I open a vial and pH test, which is easy enough to do.Target pH 3.0) Then fill to desired volume with saline for comfort injecting.
            That’s what I’m going to do from now on except for the copper containing ones.

            S 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • J jennn

              @Commander Dissolve in a small amount of sterile water first. Maybe use a little acetic acid for the ones that are notoriously difficult to recon like AOD. (I don’t know how much aa to use unless I open a vial and pH test, which is easy enough to do.Target pH 3.0) Then fill to desired volume with saline for comfort injecting.
              That’s what I’m going to do from now on except for the copper containing ones.

              S Offline
              S Offline
              Stevepep
              wrote last edited by Stevepep
              #66

              @jennn Once again, we are talking about SS31, MotsC and NAD all of which can cause red welts. These are all fine with NACL BAC. No need to concoct anything; just buy Hospira NACL BAC. It's widely used in compounding, in IVs at the hospital to administer medications etc. It will not affect the composition of these peptides. Do not use with anything that has copper, even in a blend. For those three peptides, it is fine and even recommended for compounding.

              1 Reply Last reply
              2
              • E Offline
                E Offline
                Eleanor
                wrote last edited by
                #67

                I would not use it with buffered NAD.

                Proud to be on a gubmint watch list

                C S J 3 Replies Last reply
                1
                • E Eleanor

                  I would not use it with buffered NAD.

                  C Offline
                  C Offline
                  Commander
                  wrote last edited by
                  #68

                  @Eleanor said:

                  I would not use it with buffered NAD.

                  Dam and my buffered nad is the think that gives me the most ISR

                  Please excuse my typos. Small Phone & Bad Eyes

                  J 1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • E Eleanor

                    I would not use it with buffered NAD.

                    S Offline
                    S Offline
                    Stevepep
                    wrote last edited by
                    #69

                    @Commander Yours is buffered the one I got Grey is not.

                    C 1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • E Eleanor

                      I would not use it with buffered NAD.

                      J Offline
                      J Offline
                      jennn
                      wrote last edited by
                      #70

                      @Eleanor I think NAD would be the safest to use with saline. I mean, they give it to people in bags of saline all the time as an IV in wellness clinics.

                      It’s the initial reconstitution that I question. Once in solution, I’m sure it’s fine to dilute up to volume with saline. But there’s a reason most lyophilized compounds are reconstituted in water. They likely need a lower pH than saline to get into solution initially.

                      S 1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • J jennn

                        @Eleanor I think NAD would be the safest to use with saline. I mean, they give it to people in bags of saline all the time as an IV in wellness clinics.

                        It’s the initial reconstitution that I question. Once in solution, I’m sure it’s fine to dilute up to volume with saline. But there’s a reason most lyophilized compounds are reconstituted in water. They likely need a lower pH than saline to get into solution initially.

                        S Offline
                        S Offline
                        Stevepep
                        wrote last edited by
                        #71

                        @jennn Jenn Hospira NACL BAC is the very same PH as Hospira BAC.

                        E 1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • S Stevepep

                          @jennn Jenn Hospira NACL BAC is the very same PH as Hospira BAC.

                          E Offline
                          E Offline
                          Eleanor
                          wrote last edited by
                          #72

                          @Stevepep said:

                          @jennn Jenn Hospira NACL BAC is the very same PH as Hospira BAC.

                          Not too sure about that but I don't need to use it on my NAD+ buffered, nor do I see any instructions to do so on any protocol. In fact, there are a couple I've seen that say not to use it if NAD is already buffered. I'm no expert but I don't need it, I use it for other ones that leave a welt/sting.

                          Proud to be on a gubmint watch list

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          1
                          • S Stevepep

                            @Commander Yours is buffered the one I got Grey is not.

                            C Offline
                            C Offline
                            Commander
                            wrote last edited by
                            #73

                            @Stevepep said:

                            @Commander Yours is buffered the one I got Grey is not.

                            Well I was told by “Emma” it was buffered, but it does sting a bit. Can’t trust the vendors to tell the truth anyway..

                            Please excuse my typos. Small Phone & Bad Eyes

                            S 1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • C Commander

                              @Stevepep said:

                              @Commander Yours is buffered the one I got Grey is not.

                              Well I was told by “Emma” it was buffered, but it does sting a bit. Can’t trust the vendors to tell the truth anyway..

                              S Offline
                              S Offline
                              Stevepep
                              wrote last edited by Stevepep
                              #74

                              @Commander Crap maybe mine is too. I used the NACL BAC and it s really nice no reaction at all not even a little itching. The NAD buffered from Nexaph gave me no issues so I didn’t use it on that. The Emma stuff different story it works nice with NACL without it nice red mark.

                              C 1 Reply Last reply
                              1
                              • E Offline
                                E Offline
                                Eleanor
                                wrote last edited by Eleanor
                                #75

                                I want to know i it works with Cartalax. As one poster described it as 'spicy'. No kidding! Going to read up on it and probably burn a 10mg with it. No other way to know.

                                @stevepep @commander For the record, the buffered stings me slightly using regular BAC if I inject too fast but easily tolerable; no where near the sting that unbuff has.

                                Proud to be on a gubmint watch list

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • S Stevepep

                                  @Commander Crap maybe mine is too. I used the NACL BAC and it s really nice no reaction at all not even a little itching. The NAD buffered from Nexaph gave me no issues so I didn’t use it on that. The Emma stuff different story it works nice with NACL without it nice red mark.

                                  C Offline
                                  C Offline
                                  Commander
                                  wrote last edited by
                                  #76

                                  @Stevepep said:

                                  @Commander Crap maybe mine is too. I used the NACL BAC and it s really nice no reaction at all not even a little itching. The NAD buffered from Nexaph gave me no issues so I didn’t use it on that. The Emma stuff different story it works nice with NACL without it nice red mark.

                                  Perfect, I forgot you got it from Emma too… as soon as my Nacl comes in I will be trying it with the Nad+ from Emma too

                                  Please excuse my typos. Small Phone & Bad Eyes

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  1
                                  • C Offline
                                    C Offline
                                    Commander
                                    wrote last edited by
                                    #77

                                    So mine came in today. I am going to try it for: Mots-C, SS-31, NAD
                                    Keep My Regular Hospira Bac for:
                                    KLOW
                                    Tesa/IPA
                                    Reta

                                    If I read correctly, those you need regular BAC for.. but who knows, this stuff confuses me 🤣

                                    Please excuse my typos. Small Phone & Bad Eyes

                                    S 1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • C Commander

                                      So mine came in today. I am going to try it for: Mots-C, SS-31, NAD
                                      Keep My Regular Hospira Bac for:
                                      KLOW
                                      Tesa/IPA
                                      Reta

                                      If I read correctly, those you need regular BAC for.. but who knows, this stuff confuses me 🤣

                                      S Offline
                                      S Offline
                                      Stevepep
                                      wrote last edited by Stevepep
                                      #78

                                      @Commander Yes give it a shot just on SS31, NAD and MOTSC

                                      Even if the NAD is buffered.

                                      Buffered NAD+ is the situation where NaCl BAC is the preferred general choice: use a pharmaceutical-grade bacteriostatic 0.9% sodium-chloride diluent.

                                      The buffer addresses NAD+’s acidity, which is usually the main cause of sting. NaCl BAC can help with the local osmotic/dispersion component, so it may reduce welting or irritation, but it is not a substitute for a properly buffered NAD+ formulation.

                                      C 1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • S Stevepep

                                        @Commander Yes give it a shot just on SS31, NAD and MOTSC

                                        Even if the NAD is buffered.

                                        Buffered NAD+ is the situation where NaCl BAC is the preferred general choice: use a pharmaceutical-grade bacteriostatic 0.9% sodium-chloride diluent.

                                        The buffer addresses NAD+’s acidity, which is usually the main cause of sting. NaCl BAC can help with the local osmotic/dispersion component, so it may reduce welting or irritation, but it is not a substitute for a properly buffered NAD+ formulation.

                                        C Offline
                                        C Offline
                                        Commander
                                        wrote last edited by
                                        #79

                                        @Stevepep said:

                                        @Commander Yes give it a shot just on SS31, NAD and MOTSC

                                        Even if the NAD is buffered.

                                        Buffered NAD+ is the situation where NaCl BAC is the preferred general choice: use a pharmaceutical-grade bacteriostatic 0.9% sodium-chloride diluent.

                                        The buffer addresses NAD+’s acidity, which is usually the main cause of sting. NaCl BAC can help with the local osmotic/dispersion component, so it may reduce welting or irritation, but it is not a substitute for a properly buffered NAD+ formulation.

                                        We got the NAD from the same place at the same time, if it is working for you it should work for me!!

                                        Please excuse my typos. Small Phone & Bad Eyes

                                        S 1 Reply Last reply
                                        2
                                        • C Commander

                                          @Stevepep said:

                                          @Commander Yes give it a shot just on SS31, NAD and MOTSC

                                          Even if the NAD is buffered.

                                          Buffered NAD+ is the situation where NaCl BAC is the preferred general choice: use a pharmaceutical-grade bacteriostatic 0.9% sodium-chloride diluent.

                                          The buffer addresses NAD+’s acidity, which is usually the main cause of sting. NaCl BAC can help with the local osmotic/dispersion component, so it may reduce welting or irritation, but it is not a substitute for a properly buffered NAD+ formulation.

                                          We got the NAD from the same place at the same time, if it is working for you it should work for me!!

                                          S Offline
                                          S Offline
                                          Stevepep
                                          wrote last edited by
                                          #80

                                          @Commander exactly!!! It’s good too lol

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          0

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Login

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Categories
                                          • Recent
                                          • Tags
                                          • Popular
                                          • World
                                          • Users
                                          • Groups